Saturday, April 02, 2011

Hawera, Kaponga in pictures

Arjen and Anna with their acceptance speech when they received their Hygiene Award during the Sharemilker of the Year competition:

 Ofcourse therewas live entertainment as well...

This is the view from theirback yard. Amazing! (Mt Taranaki)

But it all started a week before when I headed towards Hawerawith the bus. Dropped off at the Isite, which opened 10 min later, it was time for 6 hours of exploring outside New Plymouth. The lady of the I-site was a big disappointment unfortunately... when she discovered I didn't have a car she said: well there isn't really anything interesting in town if you don't have a car........ Ok, they should fire her on the spot for saying that. It is actually quite a cute town, especially with the beautiful weather that day. So I asked for a streetplan and directions to a few things I knew of (and she didn't tell me about) and headed out. Walking around town in a continuous U shape I discovered there is a lot to see and do. A first stop at the cinema to pick up gift vouchers for Anna and Arjen and ofcourse see what was on that day. I decided to explore town a bit more first and if I had time to head back to the cinema. A walk around town showed lots of beautiful buildings, an amazing art gallery with beautiful art:
A Maori inspired church, the famous King Edward Park:
 Oh, the funny thing is that this is NOT a statue of King Edward (actually there is no statue of him at all in the park..)


 Beautiful butterfliesand flowers galore.
 Six hours turned out quite a lot for such a small town (I didn't want to go shopping), so I bought some home made jam from a street stall and headed towards the cinema to watch The Adjustment Bureau. Very intriguing. Good concept and it makes you think, so 2 hours well spent. I climbed the watertower as well and from the top you had a great view of the area. I could even see the Fonterra factory where Anna, Arjen and I went a week later for a tour around the factory. It's a massive plant with an incredible amount of milk being processed every day into cheese, milk powder and casein (a protein based product used in many things like buttons, as casing for pills, in plastics etc). Time for a last wander towards the other side of town where I discovered another lovely park, a cemetery and some totum poles painted by local teenagers. Back to NP again where the next day WOMAD was on the menu. I went there with Sandra, my roommate and we had a brillaint day. Just a small impression: Hanggai, a Mongolian band, very very good and so much to see, do and experience. Absolutely a must see if you're in NZ in March.

The two of us enjoying the lovely weather and great bands. My hair looks horrible, but thats because I've been wearing a cap all day, but Sandra wanted it off for the picture... Great weekend!!! Another lovely one followed with me being picked up by Anna on Thursday afternoon at 3, going to the awards show (see pictures at the beginning of the post), a Friday spent (grocery) shopping in Eltham and Hawera (with coffee and cake ofcourse in Hawera, to relax a bit hehe), lots and lots and lots of talking, a very interesting tour on the Fonterra factory, gourmetten and a long walk along the coastal walkway on Sunday (with more talking ofcourse). Life is good here! Arjen and Anna said they'd love to have dinner in NP before I leave, so I have something to look forward to again.

No comments: