Sunday, February 21, 2010

To (dive) master or not to master

What have I been up to lately, not much really. Weekends have been relaxed and uneventful, Spanish is a lot of fun (even though I don’t take enough time to learn all the words and verbs) and work is…. work. My boss accidentally let slip last Thursday to the dean of the faculty that it is possible I won’t be about for too long anymore. Oops, since I didn’t tell hem yet… on purpose, cause I wanted to keep it quiet for a while (otherwise none of my plans will work and nothing will change). With regards to that: gosh it’s hard to decide about what to do. I think I have made up my mind a little bit: abroad we go… but when, where, how long, what to do etc is still very unclear. Why this decision:well I seriously have not the faintest idea about what I do want to do for a living. Not the same kind of job, that’s for sure. But what else? The crisis isn’t helping either, as there aren’t too many jobs around anyway. So a trip abroad would serve 2 purposes: first of all some time to escape winter, and think about what I am looking for in a job. If I decide to become a divemaster I have another skill to put on my CV and it would also be lovely to practice my Spanish more. Not that that is happening in the places I have in mind so far. Thailand for sure, cause that’s where Katie’s and Ben’s wedding will be. First I thought about doing my divemaster’s in NZ but it is way too expensive there. Thailand is loads cheaper (as is Malta btw) and warmer and more tropical fish etc. I might just go to Thailand to become a divemaster. Sounds nice and should be doable visa wise as well. Not really sure how the weather is in October/Nov but loads of time to figure that out. On the down side it will all cost me loads of money and it makes it harder to find a place to live and maybe find a job when I come back. I’ve become quite happy with my own space, all my stuff, the peace and quiet etc, so living in a hostel or shared apartment will be a bit of an adjustment. I’ll live though haha and if I would dive on Ko Tao I think I can manage to pay for single room as well. On the other hand, if a brilliant job opening comes my way I will not hesitate and go for it…

After a long time I finally met up with Monique again, at her place this time. A lovely dinner, bit of wine and lots of chatting, always good. I went home early cause of a nasty cold, but that’s all gone now :) Also watched women’s big G with Aira and Jeroen while Jeroen put loads of movies on my laptop. Last, but not least Karlijn and her little dog Woodan visited me this weekend. She arrived Friday evening and has just left a few hours ago. Lots of beach walking (even when the snow came down, we are hardcore!) chilling on the couch watching the Olympics, eating, drinking (mainly non alcoholic, we are getting old) and of course talking. So much fun every time! The only downside this weekend was the fall of the Dutch government for the 4th time in a row, which is probably a record as well. Not that I was that happy with the current government, but with the crisis going on and some idiot called Geert Wilders most likely to win a lot of votes in the next elections I am not too happy with the fall. It was inevitable, I know, but still. Loads of voting coming up, cause in a few weeks we have to vote for the council as well. At least this time I am in the country to vote for the new government! Last time I was in Oz and it was no use trying give my parents consent to vote for me.

Just before I will leave this lovely city I thought it was time to have a peak on the cultural side of things here, so I booked two tickets to see a concert of Within Temptation with my brother in the Philharmony, a dance performance in the theatre and a ticket to an evening with three comedians. Lots of fun ahead, which is a good distraction with all that decision making going on haha!

1 comment:

OJ said...

Sounds ambitious, becoming a dive master. It sucks about the job market though.... I am sure you will find your place some time soon!!!
xxx