Friday, November 05, 2010

In Thailand

I've made it! That was the overall feeling when I arrived on the airport in Koh Samui. Amsterdam to Caïro went well and I sat next to 2 divers going to Dahab with their dive club. Needles to say we had a nice chat about it all. Then the next leg to Bangkok went ok as well, I sat next to an Egyptian who was flying for the first time in his life and who spoke a bit of English, so no worries there as well. We were a bit delayed though and when I arrived at Immigration there was a massive queue. There were quite a lot of people, but the worst bit was that after 45 min we had moved about 1 metre... They take about 5 min pp.....and since I had only little time left to catch my flight (one hour and I still had about 20 metres to go, my suitcase to pick up and find the check in counter for my next flight) I decided to play the 'I have to go to a wedding and if I miss this plane I can't make it card'. Which was not entirely true: the wedding is on Saturday, but since the weather is very unpredictable at the moment and the runway had been flooded for a few days I was not risking it. So after making quite a few people angry I went through immigration, ran for my suitcase (thank goodness I bought a pink and blue one and not a black one :-) and ran towards the next counter to check in just in time. A quick sprint towards the gate and with a small delay we were off to Koh Samui! Everything went smoothly and after checking in I was brought to this really nice cottage. After a shower and change of clothes I tried to get to the Hen's party by foot, but got lost and ended up in knee deep water on the road (there is still major water damage here after the big monsoon storm that past a few days ago, now lets hope I didn't get any of those creepy worms that can crawl through your skin and want to live in your bladder), so I went back, changed again, asked for a taxi and arrived at the right spot. It was a lovely evening, but at 11 I decided it was time to get some sleep (and so did most others, cause most of them were delayed everywhere before they could go to Koh Samui). Today I headed to the main road, got water, insect repellent (95% deet, prob poison) and new sun screen. My bottle had burst inside my bag, so I am now trying to get that out of my clothes (keep my fingers crossed, it was very oily everywhere). Now on the free wifi of the hotel, life is good! Enough ranting on my part: keep in touch!

No comments: