Sunday, March 29, 2009

Australia Fair

Since the last update there has been a slight change of plans regarding the Tazzie part of my Ozzie trip. I was supposed to go with Chris, but he cancelled since he's got a wedding in Italy in the fall and he will use all his free days and money to go there. No worries though, cause it gives me time to think about where to go and how to do that in Taz, and I LOVE planning :) It is half the fun for me to think about what to do on holiday, so the Lonely Planet is next to my bed and every evening I read a bit about the great things to do there. Yes I am very excited about going Down Under again :D

Haarlem Culinair was a big hit, it was only the 8 of us, but we had loads of fun, so definately something to do again (also since I've got loads of alcohol left ;) The next morning I went to see my parents, to celibrate my Mom's birthday (it wasn't until Tuesday, but still). Good to see everybody again and next time I'll be there it's Easter and they're off to Terschelling and my brother and I have a weekend with just the two of us.

Last weekend Marieke came to Haarlem and she picked the perfect weekend for our plans: loads of sun and not too much wind, so time to do a bicycle tour around Haarlem on Saturday and a citywalk on Sunday. Always nice to see your own city from a visitors view (I still feel like a visitor as well though, don't know much around here and it's always fun to discover the city when you're having someone over for the weekend). Not much happened during the weekdays, so no stories there. Yesterday I went to Utrecht to the Australia Fair. It wasn't as big as I expected and way too busy for my liking, but still I got some TimTam's, loads of brochures, a book about emigration and a game with sheep (don't ask about that one haha). I also got a replacement for my DVD player, which died, and that was all the excitement for yesterday haha. This morning I worked a bit and now it's time to relax and enjoy.
We had a day out with the uni to talk about structure and strategy for our new College and here are some pictures of my colleagues on the beach (we were in Zandvoort) (the one on the left is my boss, the one on the right our departmenthead) And here of course the four of us who are always having fun: Margreet, me, Lenneke and Aira

3 comments:

OJ said...

I wanna know more about the game with the sheep......

xxxxxxx said...

Likewise.

And the emigration book???

Esther said...

The game with the sheep.... is a game with sheep. You have 16 squares with parts of sheep on it. You have to lay them in a 4x4 square so they connect in the right way (head and butt together and the same colour ofcourse). It sounds very simple, but there are only two correct solutions and since I suck at these kind of games (just like rubic's cubes and stuff like that) it actually is very frustrating.
The emigration book: I'm thinking about moving to Oz for a few years (I decided to find another job in autumn anyway, cause then my 1 year course is finished) and am checking out the country this summer. If I still like it I may try and save as much money as possible, head over and try and find a job (which isn't easy since they lowered the amount of visa's they will give in a year and there is a slight economic crisis going on...) The book is about practical things when you emigrate: what to do with insurance, pension, tax, visa etc etc