Back to work and new holiday plans
The last posts have been about the big UK holiday, but after that life went on as well... so here is a quick update about the last month and a half (whoops is it that long....time to get my calendar as a reminder).
After I arrived back home I had a few days to spare before I had to go back to work, so lots of time to chill out, do all the laundry etc. Ofcourse I wanted to make the most of the time I had, so off to Groningen on Saturdaymorning to meet Marieke and have fun. Lots to talk about ofcourse after the holiday and since she had been redecorating her house lots to see and admire as well. We went into town in the afternoon and had a few drinks with Ronald in front of one of the many cafes at the Grote Markt in Groningen. Good to see him again and chat away. We did some more shopping after which Marieke dyed my hair since the hairdresser screwed everything up and it looked greenish/grayish in certain areas. Am a dark blond now, but still not really happy. Bit darker next time, but first cut out all the dead ends. Monday the 28th of July was time to go back to work again. Since almost everybody else was still on holiday it wasn't too busy. Aira came along for some coffee and catching up on Thursday evening and not much exciting news for a week or so.
The first weekend of August my brother held is delayed Birthday Party (his birthday is on January 31st, but since our dad was very sick by then he delayed it till summer). Time to BBQ and have fun. The weather wasn't too great, but we had enough plastic to make an adequate cover and there wasn't enough rain to spoil the fun :) The weekend after that I made another trip to Friesland, this time to be a judge at a horse marathon together with Antsje. We were judges at the same place as last year, so that was easy. A few friends came along and we had a good time! It started raining pretty heavy in the evening so I decided not to go back for the afterparty and had an early night.
One of my housemates, Bram, celibrated his birthday on the 14th of August, so all of us came along and we had a nice night. We also decided to extend the fun and go out the next week for dinner and drinks! Saturday evening it was Haarlem Jazzfestival, so Gillian, Aira and I headed towards the Grote Markt in Haarlem to enjoy Alain Clark, which was much much better than I expected! Since I still had some drinktokens left I was 'forced' to go again on Sunday afternoon with Gillian and her boyfriend Mario. Another great afternoon where we enjoyed some bluesy jazz.
As we had arranged the week before, we headed out for dinner and drinks with our housemates on the 21st of August. We went to a nice little restaurant called De Ark, which was ok, but not worth going twice. We had a few drinks afterwards at a nearby Irish Pub and headed home around midnight since Gillian and I had to work again the next day (all 3 men of the house took the day off afterwards...)
Work went on and people slowly came back from their holidays so it got busier and busier over time. Also social life was picking up, Wednesday 27th of August Gerrit and Susanne stopped by in Haarlem for dinner and talk after a day in Amsterdam. They were still off from work and it was nice to catch up, exchange stories about our holidays etc. The day after that Eric (whom I met in Australia during my Fraser Island trip) and his mom were in Amsterdam and took me out to dinner. We had a lovely evening and it was great (and weird) to see him again after such a long time! We talked about loads of things and also about our fear of getting another Republican as American president...
That weekend Gillian and I headed towards the trainstation which celibrated its 100th birthday! We took a steamtrain to get to
Zandvoort aan Zee, had a few drinks in one of the beachbars and headed back in the first electrical train. An afternoon very well spend and I even got a little sunburned!
Finally I am arriving in September.... Last weekend
Marieke came over to visit me and we headed towards Zandvoort to walk along the beach and literally have our sorrows blown out of our heads (uitwaaien)
since it was quite windy, but very nice!
We headed back to my house to have dinner, get changed and headed towards the cinema to enjoy Mamma Mia! After reading the plot we weren't too excited but it turned out to be great fun and a good choice for a Saturday evening full of laughter. After a lazy Sunday morning watching Dirty Dancing the series (Yes, NOBODY nows it excisted I think and now we know why: it is incredibly bad, especially since the movie is great, gets up your hopes and then..... disappointment, but funny in a way as well)
Marieke went home to Groningen and I did the usual cleaning etc. Thursday evening I met up with Dorry, my former housemate from Diemen, for a bit of shopping, some fries, a disgusting hamburger (a reminder again of why I don't like take away fast food) and a bit of movie watching (The Holiday, a classic romcom). This weekend is Open Monument Weekend in the Netherlands, so tomorrow I will go and visit some lovely old buildings, churches, graveyards, windmills etc!
The first weekend of August my brother held is delayed Birthday Party (his birthday is on January 31st, but since our dad was very sick by then he delayed it till summer). Time to BBQ and have fun. The weather wasn't too great, but we had enough plastic to make an adequate cover and there wasn't enough rain to spoil the fun :) The weekend after that I made another trip to Friesland, this time to be a judge at a horse marathon together with Antsje. We were judges at the same place as last year, so that was easy. A few friends came along and we had a good time! It started raining pretty heavy in the evening so I decided not to go back for the afterparty and had an early night.
One of my housemates, Bram, celibrated his birthday on the 14th of August, so all of us came along and we had a nice night. We also decided to extend the fun and go out the next week for dinner and drinks! Saturday evening it was Haarlem Jazzfestival, so Gillian, Aira and I headed towards the Grote Markt in Haarlem to enjoy Alain Clark, which was much much better than I expected! Since I still had some drinktokens left I was 'forced' to go again on Sunday afternoon with Gillian and her boyfriend Mario. Another great afternoon where we enjoyed some bluesy jazz.
As we had arranged the week before, we headed out for dinner and drinks with our housemates on the 21st of August. We went to a nice little restaurant called De Ark, which was ok, but not worth going twice. We had a few drinks afterwards at a nearby Irish Pub and headed home around midnight since Gillian and I had to work again the next day (all 3 men of the house took the day off afterwards...)
Work went on and people slowly came back from their holidays so it got busier and busier over time. Also social life was picking up, Wednesday 27th of August Gerrit and Susanne stopped by in Haarlem for dinner and talk after a day in Amsterdam. They were still off from work and it was nice to catch up, exchange stories about our holidays etc. The day after that Eric (whom I met in Australia during my Fraser Island trip) and his mom were in Amsterdam and took me out to dinner. We had a lovely evening and it was great (and weird) to see him again after such a long time! We talked about loads of things and also about our fear of getting another Republican as American president...
That weekend Gillian and I headed towards the trainstation which celibrated its 100th birthday! We took a steamtrain to get to
Zandvoort aan Zee, had a few drinks in one of the beachbars and headed back in the first electrical train. An afternoon very well spend and I even got a little sunburned!Finally I am arriving in September.... Last weekend
Marieke came over to visit me and we headed towards Zandvoort to walk along the beach and literally have our sorrows blown out of our heads (uitwaaien)
since it was quite windy, but very nice!
We headed back to my house to have dinner, get changed and headed towards the cinema to enjoy Mamma Mia! After reading the plot we weren't too excited but it turned out to be great fun and a good choice for a Saturday evening full of laughter. After a lazy Sunday morning watching Dirty Dancing the series (Yes, NOBODY nows it excisted I think and now we know why: it is incredibly bad, especially since the movie is great, gets up your hopes and then..... disappointment, but funny in a way as well)
Marieke went home to Groningen and I did the usual cleaning etc. Thursday evening I met up with Dorry, my former housemate from Diemen, for a bit of shopping, some fries, a disgusting hamburger (a reminder again of why I don't like take away fast food) and a bit of movie watching (The Holiday, a classic romcom). This weekend is Open Monument Weekend in the Netherlands, so tomorrow I will go and visit some lovely old buildings, churches, graveyards, windmills etc! You're probably wondering about the title: the work etc has been covered, but what about the holiday plans: well I'm off to Terschelling for a long weekend in two weeks and from 17-28th of October I will be at Malta scubadiving and sightseeing!

1 comment:
All these holidays... it just never stops, does it?
Mama mia... I went there with Marjolein and my sisters-in-law. It's one of those feel-good movies that feel really good with absolutely no story at all. Kind of similar to Alles is liefde in terms of the experience.
We have settled now, so you're welcome to drop by. I would also love to come to Haarlem, but things are a bit busy here. Since I am in Antwerpen twice a week (wake up at 6am, arrive back home at 8.30pm) and need the days before I go there to catch some sleep, there are not many days left. Weekends also tend to be booked, though there would be some space in October. Just let me know.
Post a Comment