Finally diving again
Food Friday was fantastic! It was not just food Friday but also HMS Endeavour Friday and Bens' (our teacher) 30th birthday, so lots of fun. We started regularly, then went to the ship (where we discovered it was crowded by little kids), went back to the college to enjoy all the lovely food everyone prepared and after we (over)stuffed ourselves walked back to the marina and enjoyed a tour on the Endeavour. A great way to end a serious study week :D We were trying to dive the Yongala again but failed for the second time (this time fortunately we got the message before we left Cairns), so time to figure out what to do instead. On Saturday afternoon Satori (Japanese classmate) came over and we watched and discussed The Cove, a movie about the dolphin industry. It made us both really sad, but good to watch (we ate some leftover snert before that). On Sunday I went shopping with Debbie and Connie and after a very nice iced coffee with lots of cream I went to the Cairns Art Gallery, which was incredible. If you're ever in Cairns go and visit! I was very impressed with the work of Alex Plat.
Another week at school passed and it was time to catch up with some movies at the cinema. Monday is student day, so Katja and I went to see Oranges and Sunshine, a really good movie about the scandal of poor UK/Irish children shipped off to Oz and Canada (like the stolen generation among the Aboriginals in Oz)...who knew??? On Tuesday I watched X-Men: First Class, good to see how it all came to be. Thursday evening we had a farewell party for Sara (she went to Brisbane yesterday). We were supposed to have a BBQ along the Esplanade but it was raining so we went for a cheap meal at PJ O'Briens' instead, after which we headed to the Mad Cow for some cheap drinks and ended up in the Woolshed. That was really bad, so Katja and I took a taxi home! Saturday morning I confirmed my booking for Tusa 5 (to dive on Sunday) and went for another cultural experience: the museum. Which turned out to be sort of a collection of old things, like my grandfather used to have in his house, with some old labels (and mistakes on them were either simply crossed out or they put typex on it). An hour was more than enough.... Time to head to DFO (factory outlet stores) to go shopping. I bought some nice blouses, a blazer and (with Katja) a complete outfit for our IELTS class farewell party on Saturday: dress, leggings, shoes.... Pictures of that outfit will maybe follow later!
Sunday I finally got to dive again!!! After a horrible ride out to the outer reef (very seasick, throwing up) we headed into the water (very cold) and spotted a white tipped reef shark, blue spotted stingray, turtle etc etc. Beautiful! I felt much better and even the ride back was ok. My dive buddy was an Italian Physiologist working for a marien government organisation who took his camera and filmed our dives. We exchanged email addressess so he can sent me some of his footage :D
Last week in Cairns now, it feels weird. It means the end of my trip is coming and that is a bit scary. It will be great to see everyone again, but it also means that the months of freedom will come to an end and I have to get back to 'normal life'. Oh and find a job...brrr....

2 comments:
you MADE snert??? From scratch? That is impressive: kudos to you!
Oh yeah, good luck on that future job-hunting front: not much fun, that is........
Ha Esther, ik ben echt vet jaloers als ik je verhalen lees, wat een geweldige ervaringen doe je daar allemaal op! En 8 augustus dus alweer naar NL, jammer dat het er alweer bijna op zit dan. Het werkende leven in NL is maar duf hoor, dus mocht je nog een Way out vinden zou ik zeggen go for it!
Al vind de leesclub het natuurlijk ook wel weer gezellig als je weer wat dichter bij bent! Groetjes van Linda (van de leesclub dus:-))
Post a Comment