Adelaide and the start of Cairns
Inspiration... a magic word and something I have been lacking lately. When you’ve been studying English for 5 hours a day taking many tests (reading, writing, listening and talking) you are kind of done with it when you get home. At least I am and I think most of my class mates are (although our Asian friends put in a lot of after hours work to reach the same level as the rest of the class). Anyway… life has been very good since I arrived in Oz. My last day in Sydney was spent with Lisette walking the Harbour Bridge (after I finally got my sim card activated at the Telstra shop where I was helped by a really nice guy with a serious case of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (touching his head while muttering six, six, six, nine, six etc all the time), taking lots of pictures of the Sydney skyline from the other side of the harbour and finishing our walk with a tour through Chinatown where they were filming some sort of Chinese movie. A lot of walking which had to be rewarded of course, so we bought some supplies to make PANCAKES :D The whole kitchen smelled like our lovely pancakes and we made many people jealous. Since we baked so many of them we had them for breakfast as well the next morning. Sometimes these little things can make life wonderful!
Since I was leaving by train in the afternoon I had to check out at 10 and basically wait with all my stuff in the reception area of the hostel until it was time to leave. Lisette was so kind to keep me company and at one o’clock I checked in my luggage at the central station after which I had to wait for another 2 hours before we were supposed to leave. That turned into three because the train arrived late and didn’t get permission to leave until 4pm, which meant we missed out on the beautiful sights of the Blue Mountains (by the time we got there it was dark and snowing). A well… at least we were dry and warm. The seats were comfortable and reclined pretty far, so the night wasn’t too bad. The views were ok, but not extremely spectacular and taking pictures was useless because the windows were very dirty. All in all it was an ok experience, but not as magical as advertised.
I’ve booked my flight home already because I will go home during high season (August) and thus need to book early to get a reasonably priced ticket. If all goes to plan I will arrive the 8th of August very very early in the morning at Schiphol….

4 comments:
what's that!!! a pub crawl at 3pm!!! must be an ozzie thing :-)
haha, ofcourse you can start a pub crawl at 3pm, it was Friday after all ;-D
Hoi esther, de leesclub groet je vanuit amsterdam! We willen je onze nieuwe boekkeuze voorleggen, want de volgende keer ben je er natuurlijk weer bij! Dus: wij zijn ons brein van Dick Swaab. En daarnaast iets duns, zoals kaas of lijmen het been van Elsschot. Heb jij misschien nog suggesties of voorkeuren?? We kijken er naar uit je snel weer te zien en live alles over je reizen te horen. Groeten van Linda, Paulien, Ingrid en Hellen
Hoi Leesclub, wat leuk iets van jullie te horen! Wanneer is de volgende bijeenkomst (en waar)? Swaab klinkt erg goed, ben benieuwd. Ik ben geen fan van Kaas van Elsschot (erg erg erg saai), maar lijmen het been is zeker een optie. Ik ben op dit moment bezig met wat klassiekers (Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre) en nog wat Murakami. Verder ben ik nog niet iets tegen gekomen waarvan ik dacht 'Goh dat moeten we allemaal lezen'. Zal aan mijn docent Engels wat tips vragen. Zie er naar uit jullie allemaal weer te zien, om het maar op z'n Nederlands te zeggen: Gezellig! Groetjes Esther
Post a Comment